Sunday, March 20, 2011

Seoul: Museum of Contemporary Art

I was only allowed to take a photo of one thing in the gallery and that was this masterpiece by Nam June Paik (Baik). He died in 2006 from complications of a stroke but was considered a media artist and the first video artist. In 2001, he received a Lifetime Achievement award. ... Brilliant :)


The tower is visible right when you walk into the museum. It has 1,003 tv's of all sizes and the set up is excellent. You walk up a spiral ramp to each floor meanwhile being able to see pretty much every aspect of the tower. 








I wasn't supposed to take the picture of this but I loved it so I snuck a pic. It's a little blurry, if you can see on the right there is a curator and she was giving me the side eye... so I went O_O and took off. ... I know.. I'm a rebel.




This is by Yayoi Kusama. An AMAZING artist from Japan who's life is worth reading about. She has struggled with mental illness from childhood (mostly of suicidal hallucinations) and endured physical abuse by her mother. She reflects many struggles in her art and transforms her misfortunes to masterpieces. 
As you can see, the pumpkin as polka dots, which is featured in a lot of Kusama's work. A curator (not the one that was after me) handed me a small card that had Kusama's quotes on it. One read, 


"A polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colorful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots become movement... Polka dots are a way to infinity"






... Did I mention she's a poet, novelist, fashion designer, painter and sculptor?
Currently, she lives in a mental hospital in Tokyo, Japan. She references art as her saviour from suicide. Kusama is truly an inspiration.


I'm on this website every other day... click for Yayoi Kusama's Offical Site here



No comments:

Post a Comment