Monday, April 4, 2011

Slut Walk


If you were able to catch my posting (a response to Toronto Police seminar at York U) and the word "SLUT", I'm sure you would have seen this happen.

Last night, it was brought to my attention that a news report on "Slut Walk" was on TV. Some women were showing skin and dressed as what some of you may call "SLUTTY". Let me repeat something to you that I have said a thousand times... No matter how I am dressed, it's never ever ever ever ever ever an invitation for sexual assault and degradation. No matter how I am dressed, it is never my fault that a sexual predator, rapist, whomever DOES NOT comply when I refuse. Understood? Ok.

"Whatever we wear, Wherever we go. Yes means yes and No means NO."

Tired of the oppression of women, displacing blame of sexual violence on the women rather than the perpetrators who commit them and tired of the use of the term "slut", women gathered downtown Toronto yesterday to let you know, they're TIRED.

As I noted in my posting on Toronto Police, the slogan "To protect and serve" doesn't go past the architects of the Toronto Police Stations when it comes to sexual violence and violence against women.
Sexual violence is underreported and displacing blame on victim, labelling them as a "slut" (before or after the assault) causes more harm than you think. It deters the victims from going to police station to report the assault. Why would they want to? They will just label them as sluts. They were victims of uninvited sexual assault, and now they are uninvited to report it.

How a woman dresses should not be confused as an invitation of sexual assault. As I asked you before, does this mean women that cover up DON'T get raped? I think not.

If you have ever read up on Radical Feminism (See Judith Lorber's Gender Inequality), you would note that this theory devotes most of their action against patriarchy by criticizing sexual violence and its existence in BOTH public and private spheres and for ALL women regardless of race, socio-economic status, age, ability, or... attire. Read up on that.

All of us have a female figure that we love, adore and would do anything for. Imagine one of them were sexually assaulted. Imagine they feel they cannot even go to report it to the police because they feel that the police, society and maybe even you would label them as a slut. They feel that you may blame them for the assault because of the way they were dressed.

So, who are you calling a slut?

No comments:

Post a Comment