Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Toronto Love: Aion Clarke - Now Or Never



"I'm always looking out to things and 
making it artistic. There is a melody that matches that colour on the wall right there [points to wall painting]" -- Aion Clarke



Many of us have experienced ultimatums in our lives that makes us frustrated and creates this intense amount of pressure because the choices presented to us aren't always what we perceive as something that is desirable. 
Aion Clarke's upcoming EP, “Now or Never” is that ultimatum, except he takes the pressure and tranforms it to music. I was able to interview this "studio-head" recently and I was pleased to find that he was passionate, knowledgable and prompt in answering all of my questions.

The genre of the music he produces is considered R&B, but to my surprise, what he prefers to listen to is NOT limited to that one genre. 
He explains the difference... or maturity rather, of Voyce Alexander to Aion Clarke, and tells us why he's not at the point to demand 3 boxes of white chocolates in his dressing room...yet. He's humble, yet confident. Best of all, he's from Toronto.

-------*-------

You seem quite excited about your upcoming EP, what can we expect?

The song on “The Leaks” were songs I had written for other artists, but before that could happen, it was leaked onto the internet. So I decided to capitalize on it. 
I moved out to ATL/LA in 2007 when I got signed with grammy-award winning producer Bryan Michael Cox. Now Or Never is with Dalton “DeeTenn” Tennant (producer and music director for Drake). It's the first project I am working on with the intention of putting it out.

What is your family background like? Any musical background?

Everybody in my family is musical, but no one pursued music. I have a West Indian background, we grew up in a church and my mom and dad taught me how to sing. I played drums, keys (even though I suck) and I was in every choir. I honed my gifts and talent in church.
Now or Never is just me exposing everything. It's more raw, more sexual, more aggressive. The most realest to me, where I am at right now, and what I have been through.

Tell me the difference between Aion Clarke and Voyce Alexander.

Voyce was young, back then I wanted to be FAMOUS and to capitalize on the industry. Voyce was me trying to be someone I wasn't instead of realizing I've been doing music my whole life and I don't have to pretend. I realize I don't have time for experimenting.
I've seen a lot in the industry, I learned a lot. There are a lot of talented artists in the industry. People need to understand if you want to be successful, start your own company. I didn't want to just have nice clothes and no money in my account. Do you want fame and do you want success?
My success would be to for my music to reach to the masses. Not that I don't want to be famous but it's just not my focus. The person that realized all this is Aion Clarke. Me.
That's my birth name. That's me.

We love that you're from Toronto, it's always great to have positive and talented representation of the city. What do you love about Toronto...? What is your favourite event in Toronto?

I love everything about toronto, it will always be my home. Toronto is the best city in the world. I love the people. I don't find too many haters... I mean haters is a part of life. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
My favourite event in Toronto? I enjoy going out. I like the Day and Night event on Sundays. It's the right clientele. Nice ladies to stare at [laughs], good music. I'm a studio head, I don't really go out too much. I'm really focused on my music and my family. That's about it. I think there are other things to do than partying when you're serious about your career. There are times for that, but not right now.

As you know, my blog along with myself of course, are very big on charities and awareness for mental and physical health issues for both children and youth, women's rights and LGBTQ issues etc. Back in December of 2010 you performed at a charity event hosted by Drake? Is there a charity that you personally support or an issue that you advocate for?

Any issue. I'm a very empathetic person, anything I can do to help. I've done a lot of charities.

The December 2010 charity was for my boy Lincoln, he has CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Ployneuropathy).
He used to be able to do backflips and he was into martial arts. He did all the martial arts for Lil X's videos. X asked me to come out for the event.
Now he [Lincoln] can't walk. The money went to the research for that.

We saw you perform at the 2011 NBA All Star Game singing the National Anthem. Describe that experience.

I wasn't nervous. I was nervous about the bronchitis. I'm still dealing with it now. That was very scary. It was the biggest event of my life and I had bronchitis. 2 weeks before that I couldn't even sing at all. I had to relax and get prepared. I was happy to be there and enjoy the moment.


Aion Clarke sang Canada's Nationa Anthem at the
2011 NBA All Star Games


The first time I had seen you perform was at Club One 11 in Yorkville back in March of 2010. You seemed very comfortable and in your element. Do you do anything prior to a performance that calms you down?

I'm used to the performance. I'm not at that level where I'm like, “I need 3 boxes of white chocolates in my dressing room” [laughs] and be demanding. Vocally, I warm up. I like to just stay calm and watch TV and relax.

I love your mixtapes but my all time favourite from you HAS to be your cover of Seal's Kiss From A Rose. Is there a cover you are dying to do and haven't done so yet?

A lot. Songs from the Beatles, “Imagine” and “Jealous Guy”. I love Bob Marley and Bob Dylan. There are so many. There has been so many amazing songs that no one can top. I want to do something groundbreaking. I want to make something that is just REAL.


Where does your inspiration come from whether it's songwriting, singing etc?

Real life experiences that I have seen and I have felt. Things that I appreciate like beauty in certain things. I'm always looking out to things and making it artistic. There is a melody that matches that colour on the wall right there [points to wall painting].
When I'm working on a song and its getting good. I stop. I burned the song on a CD and get in my car, listen to it, get an idea and record it on my phone. Next day I turn it into something special.

Aion Clarke and I




Should we expect to see you in any movies or TV shows? Reality TV?

Hopefully. I would love to act. People always said I could be an actor because I'm so silly and sarcastic. I don't take things too seriously. I'm a character.
I watch Man Vs. Food and the discovery channel [laughs]. You know what shows the best? The Deadliest Catch. These guys are risking their lives so we can eat crab and lobster [laughs]. The First 48 is amazing too.


Look out for Now or Never, to be released in a few weeks.

Aion Clarke says that for him, it's now... or never. How would you take this ultimatum?




Aion Clarke- "I'm On One" RMX


Aion Clarke- Do You Right


Aion Clarke - I'm Coming




Twitter: @AionClarke

Facebook: Aion Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment