Sunday, November 27, 2011

TdotOdot: One of a Kind

Yonge/Dundas - 11.12.11


Many people swear that the city they grew up in "is the best city in the world" and if they find themselves travelling to a city they love, but not as much as their hometown, it is labelled their "second home".

When I conduct interviews for my blog, one of the questions I always ask is, "What do you love about Toronto?".

When I ask this, I don't expect the interviewee to list the top 5 things they love about this city. I don't even expect them to give me a solid answer, because what I love about Toronto can't be put into a few sentences. It is, at times, indescribable, and can only be explained through experience that can't always be translated into text. What I love about Toronto are things that may exist in other cities, but that's okay. The uniqueness that Toronto consists of cannot always be seen by the eye, but experienced without realization.

I can list landmarks or historical events that occurred in Toronto that make it so great. I can list the interconnectedness of various races from interpersonal to institutional level of social interactions that make Toronto so amazing. I can tell you about moments when I was out in the city and was grateful of every part of what Toronto was... I can go on and on but that can't really convince a reader.
The way to know is to experience it, and with an open mind too.

For those that live in Toronto, whether you pronounce the last "t" in TORONTO or not... next time someone asks you what you love about this city, what will you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment