Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Toronto Hot Spots

You could call this post a restaurant review by yours truly. I'm not a food critic but I wouldn't feel right about keeping these hot spots a secret... they're too good.

I recently stopped by Pizza Libretto on Ossington as I heard some great things about this place. It was a Sunday and they open at 4pm... We arrived at 3:55pm and they was already a line up slowly forming. Throughout our meal and I'm sure up until closing time, the line up was still there--for both dine-in and take out. They also have a location on Danforth (check the location and hours of operation on their website)

Pizza Libretto makes VPN (Verace Pizza Napoletana Association) certified pizza as organized by the European and Italian government. The restaurant provides a welcoming environment... high chairs along the entire bar, tables, booths and half-booths plus a visible kitchen where you can clearly spot the wooden oven. The place fills up fast with high turnovers before, during and after the traditional mealtimes.

During my visit, I was able to try the buttermilk calamari, cremini mushroom pizza and espresso-cinnamon gelato. The calamari was amazing-- perfectly cooked on a bed of red pepper almond sauce. On the pizza, the mushrooms weren't overcooked like you get at your local franchise, it was done just right, with the compliments of perfect dough. Those who know me know I love ice cream... the gelato was served with a hearty biscotti, with enough of the proportion for two to share.

Buttermilk Calamari 

Cremini Mushroom Pizza

Espresso-Cinnamon Gelato

If you've ever spend your weekends or an occasional evening during the work week at the Dundas Square/Eaton Center area, make sure to drop by Joey's Eaton Center just West of the mall's H&M entrance off of Dundas. The open patio looks very welcoming (aside from the Winter season of course). Side note: The washrooms are a little far off, but you'll find humour on each sign leading you the way.


Joey's Eaton Center- 1 Dundas West, Toronto

The restaurant is in the busy area of Yonge and Dundas but at the same time, situated away from the commotion with just enough space to enjoy meals and drinks with friends and family.
I was super hungry the day I went... hence, this meal:



Joey's Restaurants have several locations throughout Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Ontario and Washington. You can find the menus by location on their site... There are so many things I need to try from the Eaton Center location's menu ... Steak and Sushi, Miso Ramen, Bombay Chicken.... *drool*



Lastly, a great spot to check out for a relaxing and cozy environment is Polish style based Czehoski's on Queen Street. Like many of the greatest restaurants, lounges and bars in Toronto, from the outside it doesn't look like much. But inside, there are two levels. The upper level is more intimate, with cozy booths and a fire place while the downstairs area is just as relaxing. I was there this past Halloween weekend and tried the Blue Crab Cakes and Perogies. 

The thing I love love love about this place is that it is used as an art gallery to support local artists (in rotation every two months). If you like art and you like food... this is the place to be.

I guess this post can link to my previous post "One of A Kind" question... Why do you love Toronto?
For me, one of the many reasons are places like these that serve up amazing food. If you know me, you know I can't say no to food.
In the words of my best friend, "The way to my heart is through my belly".

No comments:

Post a Comment