Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Response to Alexandra Wallace

So I reviewed the video post made by Alexandra Wallace. And here's is my response. The video is below.

Alexandra Wallace,

         What is "American Manner" exactly? Can your academic experience in the Political Science program at UCLA give you the power to tell the rest of us what that is? Is it making YouTube videos about Asians that annoy you? But before you start, you pre-warn the viewer that you're not the most politically correct person and you don't mean to insult any of your friends?.... Hmmm... I never heard of such "manners". I sure hope UCLA doesn't teach you that in their program.

         You were "deep into your studies" and were interrupted by ching's and chong's and tong's? Hmm... I didn't know that that was the universal language for Asians. Do you know what KIND of Asians they were? And did you know that there is South Asians and East Asians? And South Asia's languages doesn't really sound like what you mimic in the video. Do they not teach you that in Political Science? Maybe you're not doing so well in your program...

        If you were REALLY concerned about your studies and were always interrupted while about to reach an "epiphany", you wouldn't have breached the UCLA Student Code of Conduct as it states:

We do not tolerate acts of discrimination, harassment, profiling or other harm to individuals on the basis of expression of race, color, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, religious beliefs, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, or national origin among other personal characteristics. Such acts are in violation of UCLA’s Principles of Community and subject to sanctions according to campus policies governing the conduct of students, staff and faculty.

In addition, you wouldn't have settled for rescheduling your final exams because of death threats made after your final exam schedule became available online, NOR would you have taken 2 minutes and 52 seconds of your precious time to make a YouTube video. Perhaps another 2 minutes to figure out how to post it. That's 4 minutes and 52 seconds YOU COULD HAVE USED TO WORK TOWARDS YOUR 75th EPIPHANY OF THE DAY!!!! Oh my goodness.

         According to you, since I'm [some sort of] Asian, my parents did not teach me to do my own laundry, cook my own food etc. What will your mother think!
         ... I have an idea. Perhaps, I can meet your mother and have her "teach" me, since you claim your mother has taught you to be "nice and polite". Your people call my people? Perhaps lunch at the UCLA library?
        The best part of your post was the suggestion that the Asians in the library were calling their families in Japan because of the Tsunami.  .................................................................... Sorry, I had to let that marinate for a second. Really? Oh Alexandra, how genius of you to come up with that theory! What kills me (and I mean death from excessive laughter) is that you were so confident in your video post that you were saying something meaningful.
                
         See what happens when you "observe" and just blurt things out?

It could sound like this,

"How did you get into UCLA? You sneaky girl you...!.... Did you get into UCLA by parading all of that cleavage you're showing in your video post. Is that how UCLA dresses for class? Oh, I'm sorry, you must have just gotten back from your photo shoot as a "bikini model"...  I don't know, it's just an observation. And how much bleach is in your hair exactly? Do you think that some of the bleach might have gone through your scalp to your brain through some sort of weird osmosis and caused damage in the area where maybe "common sense" would be controlled? What you have done is abuse the right to freedom of bleach, and right to freedom of cleavage".

         Do you see what I mean? How much your roots have grown out, what colour your hair is, your modelling and how much cleavage you show means...what? On a serious note, what you have done is actually abuse the right to freedom of speech.

         In a culturally diverse environment as UCLA, maaaaaybe you should've kept your ignorant opinions off of YouTube. If you felt liberated or brave at any point when you were posting the video... It was a short lived experience. What is more long term is the impact you have had on the online world, Asian community (sorry, more specifically, EAST Asian) and the hostile environment you have created for yourself.
         I have a question. Was it worth it? Was it worth rescheduling you finals, creating a hostile environment for yourself, pulling your face book profile and any social networking/online affiliation off of the internet, and having your bikini photos (apparently, you are a bikini model) plus your final exam schedule posted on the internet? Was it worth it? .... Actually, don't answer that.
        What you have failed to understand is that this can haunt you for the rest of your life. Can you erase all of the videos off of the internet?

         Now I know you issued an apology. But judging from your video, we all got a sense of what kind of person you are. So I could doubt that the apology was written by you and I could doubt that you are even sorry. I could believe that you are sorry that your video got the attention that it did. in your apology, however, you never directly apologized to "the Asians in the library". It was short and not so sweet...

         As for the thought of you getting expelled, I  don't think you should be, I understand it may have been a mistake. For all I know you really may be sorry (for whatever reason). I don't think expulsion would teach you anything. I believe that bigotry, racism and all problematic issues like them are deeply-rooted and you can't all of a sudden have an "epiphany", realizing you were wrong.

.....But if you were expelled, I personally wouldn't lose sleep over it. As a matter of fact, I would still sleep like a baby.

          Alexandra Wallace, you're breath stinks. Cuz you're talking sh*t.

Anyways... "Thanks for listening and.... Have a great day!" *Alexandra Wallace Voice* (Insert super duper smiley face here)

UPDATE: March 19th, 2011


Alexandra Wallace has dropped out of UCLA for "personal safety reasons"
Well well well....

See article here

Click below to see Wallace's video post:




Some of the responses can be seen here. Many parodies are floating around the internet. The first parody below has what I already expected the parodies to focus on... her cleavage. Not really my choice of weapon, but please, YouTube some parodies and see the responses.


No comments:

Post a Comment